One of those rare African countries that, despite its incredible tourism infrastructure, Botswana has managed to remain mostly untouched. Botswana tourist attractions include incredible wildlife encounters and the world-famous Okavango Delta. Tourists flock to Botswana to discover Africa in its truest form. Book your stay at one of the top hotels in Gaborone, and get exploring. From the capital city, to the famous herds of Chobe elephants, you’ll feel like you’re visiting Africa’s best kept secret.
One of the most interesting facts about Botswana is that over 17 percent of the country has been set-aside as national parks and game reserves. Explore the lush green of the Okavango Delta in the north and the red desert dunes of the Kalahari Desert in the south to experience nature at its very best.
If you’re visiting the country and looking for hotels in Gaborone, AVANI Gaborone Hotel & Casino will give you the perfect base from which to explore Botswana’s many attractions.
Botswana tourist attractions
Botswana tourist attractions near AVANI Gaborone Hotel & Casino.
- Explore the Town Centre to discover the city's oldest architectural gems, and peruse craftwork and curios at the outdoor stalls.
- Visit the leafy gardens of Gaborone's Government Enclave. Here you'll find parliamentary buildings as well as several important historical monuments, including the Sir Seretse Khama Statue.
- View the Three Chiefs Monument in Gaborone's newly developed Central Business District. This impressive historical statue marks an important turning point in the history of Botswana.
- The National Museum and Art Gallery is a vibrant focal point of artistic and cultural activity, and displays Botswana's natural and cultural heritage. You'll also find many artefacts here from sub-Saharan Africa.
- For more modern art, the Thapong Visual Arts Centre is home to the works of the country's most gifted artists, and is an underrated Botswana tourist attraction.
- Close to most hotels in Gaborone, the recently opened National Museum Botanical Gardens features walking trails, exhibitions on the flora of Botswana, a library of botanical books and historical buildings, and a colonial guesthouse.
- Visit the Ecological Park to find out more about simple but effective technologies, for resource conservation and waste management. The park has been developed to inspire people to live an environmentally friendly life.
- The Gaborone Game Reserve is a small but well stocked park that is home to a number of Botswana's indigenous species, including zebra, eland, gemsbok, red hartebeest, blue wildebeest, impala, kudu, steenbok, vervet monkeys, warthog and rock dassies, as well as numerous resident and migrant bird species, best viewed from the small dam in the park.
- To enjoy some outdoor activities in Gaborone, try canoeing, yachting, picnics, and bushwalks at the Gaborone Dam.
- Climb Kgale Hill for panoramic views and incredible sunsets. One of the city's major landmarks, it overlooks both the Gaborone Dam as well as its largest mall, Game City. Kgale is popular for climbers and picnickers, with well-marked routes.
MORE BOTSWANA TOURIST ATTRACTIONS
- Without a doubt, Botswana’s wildlife is its biggest draw card. Get out of your hotel in Gaborone, and go on safari. Or enjoy a leisurely river cruise at the Chobe National Park, famous for its abundant elephant herds.
- Explore the Okavango Delta on a mokoro (small canoe). This is the biggest inland delta in the world, and a World Heritage Site.
- Experience a scenic flight over the Moremi Game Reserve, which borders the Okavango Delta.
Sun International's Partner Hotel and Casino in Botswana
AVANI Gaborone Hotel & Casino
Find that just right blend of hospitality, business, and leisure at AVANI Gaborone Hotel & Casino. Set in the vibrant city centre of Botswana’s capital, Gaborone, it’s never been easier work, rest, and play in style in the heart of Africa. Visit AVANI Gaborone Hotel & Casino Website.