Activities in Sandton
Walking around Sandton, it's easy to feel that one is in the absolute centre of Johannesburg. The suburb buzzes with commercial energy. It's a multisensory experience peppered with expensive real estate, international brands found in Sandton City, pavement cafes and skyscraper buildings that sit side by side with street vendors selling living art made from beads and wire.
- Take in a show at the Theatre on the Square located on the Nelson Mandela Square.
- Take a ride through Sandton on a Shesha Tuk
- Visit Liliesleaf Farm – The headquarters of Umkhonto we Sizwe (military wing of the ANC) in the 1960's. A government raid on Liliesleaf led to the arrest and ultimate imprisonment of Nelson Mandela and many other political activists.
- Take a stroll through Mushroom Park – visit the earth garden, amphitheatre and take a ride aboard the giant Hyundai balloon.
- Have your photo taken beneath the giant statue of Nelson Mandela on the Square.
- Don't leave Sandton without paying a visit to Amatuli in Kramerville, for it is here that you will find the best collection of African objet d'art in the world.
Activities in Johannesburg
The magic of Johannesburg is something only found when you look beneath the surface. The main tourist attractions tend to be located within the inner city and areas like Soweto and Newtown but there is also much to see in the bohemian suburb of Parkhurst and surrounds.
- Visit Constitution Hill in Braamfontein – home of South Africa's Constitutional Court and the historic Old Fort Prison where prisoners like Mahatma Ghandi were incarcerated.
- Hunt for African souvenirs at the Rosebank Craft Market
- Learn more about South Africa's contemporary artists at the Goodman Gallery in Parkwood.
- Explore the eclectic shops in Parkhurst and experience the vibe of this charming neighbourhood
- Discover the origins of mankind at the Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site.
- Listen to the cool sounds of jazz at Sophiatown Heritage and Cultural Centre
- Rediscover the African continent's ancient past at Museum Africa in Newtown.
- Circa on Jellicoe – a contemporary art gallery in Rosebank.
- Nothing to do on a Saturday morning – visit the Neighbourgoods Market in Braamfontein.
- Enjoy a picnic in Emmarentia beneath the shaded canopy of trees in the Johannesburg Botanical Gardens.
Some of the finest golf courses in Johannesburg can easily be accessed from The Maslow Hotel.
- Houghton Golf Club – Houghton Golf Club has a proud history having hosted eight SA Open events and the Alfred Dunhill Championship.
- Bryanston Country Club – Founded in 1948, this beautiful parkland golf course is situated in the one of Sandton's affluent residential suburbs.
- Wanderers Golf Club – Situated in Illovo, this 1939 golf club is the closest to The Maslow Hotel and provides manicured fairways and challenging tees.