Lifestyle | 18 Aug 2021 | By Sun International
Creamy Thai chicken and prawn curry
Chef Zacharia Maseko shares his recipe for a creamy Thai chicken and prawn curry
Sun International chefs serve sumptuous meals based on fresh ingredients that are a hit during any season.
Wild Coast Sun Executive Chef Zacharia Maseko has worked his way around the kitchen for the past 34 years, most of those spent preparing delicious meals at the iconic beach resort.
Over the past few years, he has noted an increased focus on sustainability and healthy eating, with more people looking for plant-based foods and enquiring about the sourcing of ingredients. To meet the demand for fresh food, Wild Coast Sun’s expansive on-site garden delivers fresh vegetables and herbs to all the kitchens.
“I am passionate about sustainability and seasonality. The freshest, highest-quality in-season ingredients elevate dishes from ordinary to world-class,” says Maseko, whose favourite ingredient is the humble onion.
This Thai curry is one of Maseko’s most popular dishes and speaks to the tropical character of the Wild Coast Sun.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- 1.2kg chicken breast fillet
- 600g Queen prawns, cleaned and deshelled
- 40g butter
- 60ml olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and diced
- 20g garlic, crushed
- 20g fresh ginger, crushed
- 40g red curry paste
- 15g curry leaves
- 20g garam masala
- 20g turmeric powder
- 20g chilli powder
- 15g coriander fresh
- 1 fresh lemon, squeezed
- 10g crushed black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of white pepper
- 40ml coconut cream
- 400g rice
- Cut the chicken breast into cubes, marinade it with the squeeze of lemon, half of the olive oil, and crushed black pepper.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the remaining olive oil.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger and allow cooking to a light brown colour.
- Add the spices and allow cooking for about 10-15 minutes to release the curry flavours under a low heat.
- Add the red curry paste.
- Mix in the chicken and adjust the consistency of the curry with small quantities of water as the curry thickens.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the peeled prawns and finish the dish with coconut cream to give it a creamy consistency.
- Serve with rice and garnish with coriander leaves and prawns.