Entertainment | 15 Feb 2016 | By Sun International
Sun City Renovations: a Bright New Future
Sun City renovations are underway, with big changes happening at South Africa’s favourite family and entertainment resort. The R800-million revamp will not only mean that Sun City retains its iconic place as one of the most exciting leisure destinations in the world, but will also offer guests superior family holiday experiences.
The Sun City refurbishment includes the revitalisation of four hotels, the Entertainment Centre, and food and beverage outlets at the resort. While Sun Vacation Club members are already seeing the positive effect of the refurbishment on their timeshare investments – and enjoying the 382 upgraded self-catering apartments, as well as the inclusion of trusted family restaurant brands like Spur and Ocean Basket – there’s more to come.
Here’s everything you need to know about the Sun City refurbishment, and what you can look forward too at your favourite family resort:
- Sun Vacation Club members now have the convenience of a new, upmarket convenience shop located in Phase 2 – The Pantry, which offers fresh holiday essentials.
- Additionally, the boutique liquor store also located in Phase 2 – Quench, stocks a limited selection of wines and beers and a wide assortment of non-alcoholic beverages.
- The Sun City renovations included a complete refurbishment of the Cabanas, which saw guest rooms, the reception area and the restaurant undergo the first major upgrades since 2007.
Thrilling entertainment and facilities
- Already offering an unprecedented choice of outdoor and entertainment activities in one place, Sun City has bolstered its adventure offering with the recent launch of Adrenalin Extreme, which offers heart-pounding, adrenalin-pumping outdoor activities including Drift Trikes, and Hovercrafts.
- The Sun City renovations extended to the Valley of Waves too, with the introduction of two brand new slides.
- The Royal Baths Adult pool at the Valley caters for guests above 21 years old. An access charge is payable upon entry.
- The Sun City Hotel will soon provide an ”always on” party zone, complete with a night club, a burlesque club and restaurants.
- The Palace now offers visitors two new and very exclusive – by invitation only – high-end casinos: the Palace Villa and the Palace Salon.
- On 11 January this year, the ambitious Sun City refurbishment of the Entertainment Centre started; its reinvention aims to create an experiential journey. The Entertainment Centre, which houses the Superbowl, will be re-imagined and rebuilt at a cost of R300-million. Here you’ll discover arcade games, lazer tag, ten pin bowling and other fun-filled activities for all ages. The Entertainment Centre will also house a South African Hall of Fame honouring the country’s iconic sporting heroes and performing artists, and an optimised convention centre on the upper level. During this time, conferences will be accommodated at the Sun Sky Village, a temporary but fully-equipped facility near Sun City’s front entrance.
Fab foodie choices
- While the Sun City refurbishment is underway, guests can choose from a variety of restaurants across the resort, including the Legends restaurant located at the Sun City hotel. This a trendy grill house pays tribute to the icons that have stayed at Sun City.
- Bocado, at the five star Cascades hotel, offers guests one of the most beautiful settings to enjoy vibrant Mediterranean dishes.
- The newly opened 24 hour Mugg & Bean at the Sun City Hotel offers visitors a place to meet, eat and connect at any time of the day or night, right at the centre of it all.
- Guests are also spoiled for choice with the new-look signature steakhouse, The Grill Room.
- There are also further plans for a variety of upgrades to Plume as well as the Tusk Bar and Lounge at the Cabanas Hotel.
- Changes at the Valley of Waves include the recent opening of a microbrewery-themed gastro pub, The Brew Monkey, which offers spectacular views over the tidal pool, with a choice of sitting indoors or outdoors on the deck. The menu features a selection of hunger-busting bar tins, monkey dogs, gourmet burgers, snack boards and craft beers.
- The Valley of Waves also boasts a new, expansive and fresh fast food eatery, Food Factory, with a range of affordable choices to suit every taste.
World class conferencing
- The Sun City refurbishment has seen the completion of a new multipurpose conferencing facility, the Sun Park, which is equipped to host lifestyle events, music festivals, product launches and other experiences in a versatile venue that offers the flexibility of indoor events and outdoor space.
- The revitalised conference centre will boast a refurbished Pilanesberg and Royal Ballroom venue, new meeting rooms and an additional conferencing venue complemented by a dedicated slow lounge and coffee shop. Guests and delegates will also have access to a permanent exhibition in the South African Hall of Fame honouring the country’s greatest sports people and performing artists.
- The Sun Park will take Sun City’s conferencing facilities to a whole new level. Companies will have access to a consolidated offering and the opportunity to tailor their conference packages, combining activities and entertainment available at the resort, like gaming at the casino, rounds of golf on Sun City’s two championship golf courses, outdoor adventure activities at Adrenalin Extreme, the Zip Slide, water sports at Waterworld, big five safaris with Mankwe Gametrackers, thrilling water rides at the Valley of Waves and The Maze at the Lost City.
Important information about the Sun City renovations
- Please note that the Entertainment Centre is set to reopen in November 2016. However, guests are spoilt for choice across the resort when deciding on food and entertainment options. Live entertainment (over weekends) is available at Brew Monkey, Legends, Luma Bar and Lounge, Harlequins and Bocado. The Shebeen also has a resident DJ.
- The Sun City renovations have necessitated a temporary entrance to the Maze and the Valley of Waves. The entrance is now located next to the Bridge of Time. Signage is displayed across the Resort to assist members and guests.
- The Magic Company has relocated to the Valley of Waves (next to the Food Factory).
- The pharmacy has relocated to the Sun City Main Hotel.
Have you experienced the #NewSunCity? Tweet us and let us know what you think!