Things to do in Namibia
Nestled in the capital of Namibia is Avani Windhoek Hotel & Casino, a top holiday destination in Namibia. A desert playground with its contrasting landscape and rugged coastline, Namibia boasts many hidden gems for tourists to explore.
Take a self-drive safari and discover the constantly shifting vistas of the dunes or stand in the eerie silence of Kolmanskop Ghost Town. Whet your appetite for adrenaline-fuelled adventure and go skydiving in Swakopmund, or travel to the ominously named Skeleton Coast and discover the fate of ships that sank off the coastline in years gone by.
The social, political and economic hub of the country, Windhoek has a number of museums, churches and places of interest worth visiting. Set in a semi-arid region, you can expect hot days and cooler nights year-round in the capital. The founding German influence can be felt many forms, from castles built in traditional German style found in the city, to the annual Oktoberfest held late in the year.
Enjoy a luxury stay at Avani Windhoek, the perfect place from which to explore what this magical country has to offer.
Tourist attractions in Windhoek
- Visit the National Art Gallery which contains permanent works reflecting the nation's heritage. Among them are linocuts by Muafangejo, the first black Namibian artist to gain international acclaim.
- Take a tour through one or all of the three German castles in the city: the Heinitzburg, which houses a hotel and restaurant, the Schwerinsburg or the Sandersburg castles.
- Christuskirche is a German Lutheran church built in 1907. With its unusual architectural style, it is worth a visit to this unofficial symbol of the city.
- Tintenpalast, the former administrative German South African headquarters, are now the Namibian parliamentary buildings which have been constructed between 1912 and 1913, mostly from indigenous materials.
- Wander through Zoo Park, which served as a public zoo until 1962 but is now a restful picnic and open area.
- Journey back in time at the Trans-Namib Transport Museum which is housed in the Train Station, which dates back to 1912.
- Take in some culture and learn about Namibia's history at the National Museum of Namibia.
Must-visit places to explore in Namibia
- If the notion of a road trip appeals to you, you can rent a 2WD or 4WD and take off on the endless stretches of road to discover the scenery of Namibia. Head off to a national park or the Skeleton coast, or take a drive to Swakopmund for adventure thrills.
- For the wildlife seekers, a visit to the Etosha Salt Pan and Etosha National Park will offer opportunities to see a host of animals and birdlife, from lion and hippo to scores of flamingos.
- Hike through Fish River Canyon, the world’s second largest canyon. The incredible rock formations and springs make for dramatic scenery although it is advisable to hike this canyon in the winter months.
- For a true wilderness experience, journey out into the Kaokoveld and learn how the wildlife has adapted to these arid conditions. See Epupa Falls and Van Zyl’s Pass.
- Visit the vast vista of Sossusvlei, a dusty pan which is breath-takingly transformed when the Tsauchab River bursts through on its way to the ocean.
- The surreal scene of the deserted Kolmanskop Ghost Town is a sight that needs to be taken in. The town was abandoned and left at the mercy of sand dunes when diamond sales plummeted after World War 1 and Oranjemund proved to be a lucrative mining area. It has been partially restored for tourism purposes.
- For a real taste of adventure, visit Swakopmund and test your mettle by skydiving from 3 000 metres.
- View amazing rock paintings at Twyfelfontein and the surrounding areas.
- The Skeleton Coast, with its harsh history, has a variety of destinations for you to explore. See the colony of Cape Fur Seals at the Cape Cross Seal Reserve, or see saltwater fishermen reeling in their catches at Dorob National Park. You can also visit the popular tourist destination Hentie’s Bay.
Wherever you decide to explore in Namibia, be sure to book your accommodation in Windhoek with Sun International's partner hotel and casino Avani Windhoek.
Sun International's Partner Hotel and Casino in Nambia
AVANI Windhoek Hotel & Casino
When you stay at the AVANI Windhoek Hotel & Casino, you’ll be perfectly placed in the bustling capital city of Namibia. Business travelers, couples and families alike will appreciate lush four-star Windhoek accommodation. Visit AVANI Windhoek Hotel & Casino Website.